Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Differentiated Dominion

While walking through a store today I was taken back by the barely audible yet incredibly enlightening sound I heard coming from the speakers above. It was none other than the Smashing Pumpkins, a band whose legacy has defined the way in which I personally process the world. I was flabergasted (most appropriately) by the sound which emanated across the store and immediately rendered me helpless to perusing my cd books for those cherished old albums.

Music has always defined my life, more so in years past than now. A cross-country transition allowed me to branch out; to see life differently, I suppose. I've come to define myself by what I do and what I feel, rather than by what I listen to. I've always prided myself on my musical knowledge, but I've presently let that premeditated status go, citing a newfound appreciation for the physical and mental limitations we all possess, regardless of our talents.

"I'll sing for you, if you want me to. I'll give to you and its the chance I have to take, it's the chance I'll have to break." That's Mr. Corgan himself investigating the deepest, oldest and happiest realms of my mind while I consider the possibilities that lie ahead. Business, professionalism, love, friendship, ignorance, purplexion, death | longevity yet brevity | each everlasting in their own right. It's the contemplation of these items that drives us toward purpose, while driving us away from the deep-seated simplicity of our existence. I blink, take another breath....

I think that the core purpose of life is finding something of sincere, real value outside the impetuous walls which consume the modern world. I, too, spend considerable time staring into the plastic, seemingly invaluable device which "connects" me to the world. In fact, I'm apt to say that I feel naked without it; a sentiment I never considered would apply to my life. But, on days like today, I hear the music that captures my youth; my prosperity; my ability to relinquish everything in this life that should naturally deem itself less important than the basics and think, "I extist, I am, and life is good."

Don't short yourself for anything or anyone. Rather, take a moment and reflect on all that you are, focused on the reality of our simplicity; on the vastness of the earth; on the universe.

"So let the clouds roll by your face. We'll let the world spin on to another place. We'll climb the tallest tree above it all."

 I don't always type my thoughts, but when I do they're from the heart. And my heart, pushed and pulled by the constraints and opportunities of life itself, may not always make sense; yet when it all boils down, that's what life is all about, isn't it?

All my best,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment